Welcome to our Church.
The Church of England Parish Church of All Saints, South Kirkby
Our church website brings you information about services and events at All Saints.
We are very proud of our Church and its history as there has been a church in the village since Saxon Times. The present church, with its 30 metre tower, dates mainly from around 1481 when the building was enlarged and restored.
The life of the Church is firmly rooted within the community of South Kirkby and has active groups which involve families and people of all ages.
The parish of South Kirkby is on the south of the area covered by Pontefract. It includes the villages of Minsthorpe, Moorthorpe, North Elmsall, South Elmsall and Skelbrook, as well as South Kirkby itself.
The villages South Kirkby and Moorthorpe were mentioned in 1086 for the first time. They were farmers’ villages until the Industrial Revolution started. In 1881 the coal mine “South Kirkby Colliery” was founded. The coal mining caused an increase in population and the villages extended more and more. At one time 3000 workers were employed in the mine. 1984 was the year of the miners’ strike intended to stop the dying of mines’, but in vain. In 1988 “South Kirkby Colliery” was closed.